Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Second hand airsoft trading site

Thanks
    I really like the look of your new theme,
    Was it a full custom job or did you use something as the base to start ?
    How long did it take ?
    Will this theme or anything similar be available for sale ?

Would you be able to give me some advise on site design ?
    Any Chance you could share how you have added the PM system, Ive as a number of time on this forum but no one is willing to share the info.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by g2eat View Post
    I really like the look of your new theme,
    Was it a full custom job or did you use something as the base to start ?
    How long did it take ?
    Will this theme or anything similar be available for sale ?

Would you be able to give me some advise on site design ?
    Any Chance you could share how you have added the PM system, Ive as a number of time on this forum but no one is willing to share the info.
    Hey, g2eat.

Thanks, it was a full custom job, used ClassiPress as the base, then just built a child theme from scratch.
    Spent probably around 3 months on it on and off in the evenings, with probably a month or so of that time not doing anything overall.

Hadn't planned on selling it no, as its quite bespoke to my site. Yes there are elements I guess where could be make into a custom theme, but to be honest I think the marketplace is a little dead and not worth the effort to turning it into a general theme for everyone.

This is one of the reasons I've not pursued a private messaging system plugin I was going to make with FEP as the base (had an agreement with the owner). I don't think there is enough customes in the marketplace to make it worth while.

Ok, so I've not got time to write up the tutorial, but here is MY custom code to use FEP with ClassiPress (my actual version of the plugin has more customisation completed but this will get you started).
    This works with Front End PM v4.6.

In your functions.php file you need to add this block of code:

PHP Code:

//---------------------------------- PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM FORM --------------------------------------
      function new_message_fep_shortcode($atts){
         global $user_ID, $post, $wp;

$token = fep_create_nonce('fep_message');

$to_id = $post->post_author;
         $to = get_the_author_meta('user_login', $to_id);
         $current_url = home_url(add_query_arg(array(),$wp->request));

ob_start();
         ?>
         <form class="form_contact" action="<?php echo esc_urlhome_url'messages/?fepaction=newmessage' ) ) ?>" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data">
              <input type="hidden" id="fep-message-top" name="message_top" autocomplete="off" value="<?php echo get_the_author_meta('display_name'$to_id); ?>">
              <input type="hidden" id="fep-message-to" name="message_to" autocomplete="off" value="<?php echo $to?>">

<label>Subject</label><br />
                   <input type="text" id="enq" name="message_title" placeholder="Subject" maxlength="65" value="" class="text">
                   <div class="clr"></div>
                <label>Message</label><br />
                <textarea id="enq" name="message_content" class="text"></textarea>

<input type='hidden' name='message_from' value='<?php echo $user_ID?>' />
            <input type='hidden' name='parent_id' value='<?php echo $parent_id?>' />
            <input type='hidden' name='token' value='<?php echo $token?>' /><br/>
            <input type='hidden' name='redirect' value='<?php echo $current_url?>' /><div class="clr"></div>
            <button type="submit" class="fep-button btn_orange" name="fep_action" value="newmessage">Send Message</button>
        </form>
        <?php

$newMsg 
    .= ob_get_contents();

ob_end_clean();
        echo 
    $newMsg;
        return 
    $newMsg;
       }

add_shortcode'new_message_fep''new_message_fep_shortcode' );
    In the code above for this section: <?php echo esc_url( home_url( 'messages/?fepaction=newmessage' ) ) ?>
    You need to replace 'messages' with the name of your page with the FEP shortcode on.
    eg www.yoursite.com/private-messages/ would mean the above code would be <?php echo esc_url( home_url( 'private-messages/?fepaction=newmessage' ) ) ?>

Then you need to open the sidebar-contact.php file which iirc is in your classipress/includes folder. (I've done things differently on my theme).
    You will need to remove the code for the contact form and replace it with: <?php do_shortcode("[new_message_fep]"); ?>

I think that's everything off the top of my head.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dalemiles For This Useful Post:

dannybnc (March 9th, 2017), g2eat (December 10th, 2016), hzmhzm (February 5th, 2019), sdurual (January 16th, 2019)

Thanks
    Hey, Thanks for the reply .

The theme really looks good, you cant tell its using classipress,

Would you be willing to advise and share some tips on what I could do for my site ?
    To be honest I think your right, the marketplace is a dead, I cant remember the last major update of classipress and nothing in the works which is very annoying, the only support is coming from users like you. so i can understand when you say it not worth the effort to turning it into a general theme for everyone.

Thanks for sharing the PM system, do you know if it will work with bbpress out of the box or would it need more coding ?

Thanks
    Hey, Thanks for the reply .

The theme really looks good, you cant tell its using classipress,

Would you be willing to advise and share some tips on what I could do for my site ?
    To be honest I think your right, the marketplace is a dead, I cant remember the last major update of classipress and nothing in the works which is very annoying, the only support is coming from users like you. so i can understand when you say it not worth the effort to turning it into a general theme for everyone.

Thanks for sharing the PM system, do you know if it will work with bbpress out of the box or would it need more coding ?
    No problem!

What's your site URL again? What are you looking to change?

AppThemes are working hard on their Vantage update so I think everything will be all quiet until that's done.

The forums have also definitely died down a lot over the last few months, a lot of regular posters seemed to have disappeared.

As for the PM code, I'm not 100% sure about BBPress. Best thing would be to create a test site and then try it out. Never update a live site without testing

Thanks
    Thanks ive sent you a PM,

I've just took another look at your site and I think its the best thing anyone has ever built using classipress.
    If all goes well with my site, ill be contacting you future to see if you can do the revamp for my site also.

Thanks
    A few questions
    1. Are you able to share how you have added the Social login social sharing of ads and auto posting to Facebook of new ads only.?
    2. im assuming you using your paid plugins for User Feedback/User Search, Dashboard Filter/Search & the Verified users + age field only admin can edit ??
    3. How did you add Added watchlist system ?
    4. The bump feature is it a paid plugin or a function ?
    5. could I also auto add users MailChimp list when registered ?

Thanks
    A few questions
    1. Are you able to share how you have added the Social login social sharing of ads and auto posting to Facebook of new ads only.?
    2. im assuming you using your paid plugins for User Feedback/User Search, Dashboard Filter/Search & the Verified users + age field only admin can edit ??
    3. How did you add Added watchlist system ?
    4. The bump feature is it a paid plugin or a function ?
    5. could I also auto add users MailChimp list when registered ?
    Sorry I have seen your PM I've just been really busy with work.

Ok to quickly run through this:

1 a. Social sharing icons on the ad pages is done through this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/social-pug/
    1 b. Posting of new ads to Facebook automatically was done with this service: https://dlvrit.com/ (their free service allows you to post to 1 Facebook page you admin, and a minimum of every 30 minutes. It scans the RSS feeds you give it.

2 a. Yes I'm using my User Feedback & Search plugin for my feedback system and community pages. I'm made some slight changes specific for my site as the plugin has been created with the standard ClassiPress style.
    2 b. Dashboard filter and search is my standard plugin as well yes for the front end dashboard pages
    2 c. The address, age and account type is a custom solution I don't have a plugin for this, only admin can edit these. The closest (and what I used in the past) is this plugin Verified Users.

3. I used the watchlist plugin here as a base then edited this for my needs.

4. Bump ad was done using this plugin and then again edited for my needs.

5. I do this myself on my site. new users (either from the registration form or from logging in with social media) are added automatically to a mailchimp list. I used this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/mailchimp-for-wp/ and their add-on: https://wordpress.org/plugins/mailchimp-sync/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dalemiles For This Useful Post:

hzmhzm (February 6th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanks ive sent you a PM,

I've just took another look at your site and I think its the best thing anyone has ever built using classipress.
    If all goes well with my site, ill be contacting you future to see if you can do the revamp for my site also.
    Thanks, I can still see ClassiPress in it, but it was my goal to make a site that was mobile friendly but use ClassiPress for the base.

Thanks
    Thanks again that was great help.

Could you tell me how you SEO and marketed your site ?

also Instead of using your feedback and filter plugins for every users, could I use iy as a upgrade option, example i wanted to create a page for tradesmen using the filter to find the right person and using the feedback for tradesmen or something like that?

Thanks
    Thanks again that was great help.

Could you tell me how you SEO and marketed your site ?

also Instead of using your feedback and filter plugins for every users, could I use iy as a upgrade option, example i wanted to create a page for tradesmen using the filter to find the right person and using the feedback for tradesmen or something like that?
    No problem!

SEO was simple if I'm honest, I didn't do anything special. I got in contact with a few of the local clubs and airsoft sites (that weren't compitition like the main airsoft forum or retailers) and offered a link exchange or even just to help get the word out for the site. As such most clubs put a link in their forum to the site, and www.nzairsoft.com put a link to my site. I also paid $20 or so on Fiverr for some high level back links (nothing spamming and not the thousands of backlink sales - i think it was like 50 or so).

Marketing my site was done purely through 1 of the main tradiing groups on Facebook I was a member of. I posted in there once they announced the changes Facebook were making. This generated a lot of buzz and got lots of feedback from users on what they wanted in a platform. I didn't expect at that time what the site would grow (and still growing) into. Other marketing has purely been social media. I've ran small Facebook like campaigns to go my Facebook page and the number of likes from legit local members of the community. I've probably spent about $100 on various ad campaigns. I sometimes run boosted posts for $5 if I've got an important message (such as the launch of the new site, I also emailed all 750+ registered members at that time, now got another 100 more registered).

I've ran a couple of give away for some patches players can put on their gear. Simple like this post, like the page and share to being in for a chance to win a free patch. That generated a few likes (worth the investment). I ran a bigger give away (cost me about $50) as a trial against buying Facebook ads. I gave away some airsoft related items. The results from that campaign wasn't great, I got a much better uptake in Facebook likes from Facebook ads.

You can see that common search terms I'm first page of google and typically ranked within the top 6.

With regards to the feedback plugin, no you can't choose specific people or roles that can receive feedback. That is out of scope of what the plugin was designed for. You can however make it so you have to approve each feedback before it shows and is applied to a users profile.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dalemiles For This Useful Post:

june172014 (April 16th, 2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information