Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By luxor

Thread: Want to Change a Specific Code in Vantage? Don't Know Where to Start? Read this!

Thanks

Want to Change a Specific Code in Vantage? Don't Know Where to Start? Read this!

I've noticed a lot of members tend to need help modifying a SPECIFIC set of codes within Vantage... A lot of times others, even including myself, just don't know where to start!

I use 2 awesome free programs.

1. Windows Grep (http://www.wingrep.com/).

Windows Grep is a tool for searching files for text strings that you specify. Although Windows and many other programs have file searching capabilities built-in, none can match the power and versatility of Windows Grep.
    I don't work for these guys, nor am I self invested. This just a recommendation as I'm sure there are other programs out there that do the same.

2. Firebug (https://getfirebug.com/) for Firefox. This helps you see what div/id/classes/css, etc is on a website.

Here's an example of why I use it and walk through of the program - Removal of "Added by ______" in Listing

1. I don't want people to know that I uploaded thousands of businesses and I don't see the need for it to be cited so I want to remove the "Added By" field in the Vantage Listings. But, WHERE TO START AND FIND IT?

2. I visited my sites listing page
    2a. Right clicked on the "Added by" text
    2b. Selected Inspect Element with Firebug
    2c. Now you can see the HTML formed around the coding of "Added By"
    2d. As you can see it's within the "<p class="author">" class.

3. Now I open Windows Grep
    3a. Enter the code you are searching for to modify/delete, in this case "<p class="author">"

3b. Select Next and add the folders you vantage and child-theme files are located in
    3c. Hit the "finish" button and it will Finish for that code in all the files
    3d. View the Search Results

4. You can see that the <p class="author"> is located in single-listings.php

5. Duplicate the original Vantage single-listings.php and place it in your child-theme

6. Open the duplicate and find:

PHP Code:
        <p class="author"><?php printf__'Added by %s'APP_TD ), va_get_the_author_listings_link() ); ?> </p>
    7. Delete that line of code and upload the modified single-listings.php file

8. When viewing the site, you'll see that it's no longer there!

Yes, you could have easily added the following to your style.css

Code:
    .author {
        display: none;
    }
    But a lot of display:none codes can also effect SEO rankings as Google can see them as tricks/hidden objects - this is 100% debatable but if you don't need something to be there, DELETE IT. There's no point in just hiding it.

So now you can easily use firebug and Windows Grep to find the fields that need to be modified or deleted!

Have fun customizing your theme!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    tcarter likes this.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to luxor For This Useful Post:

akemx (April 6th, 2013), jomarkosabel (April 6th, 2013), manilaboy (April 6th, 2013), gonesmith (April 5th, 2013), simedia (March 8th, 2014), tbase (April 6th, 2013), tcarter (April 5th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,386 Times in 3,257 Posts
    You must be an AppThemes customer and logged in to view this response. Join today!
    Please help our moderating team work more efficiently by not sending us support questions via PM. You can read more about how AppThemes support works here. However, you can send a PM to follow up and remind me if I missed your support request/thread.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Thanks
    You must be an AppThemes customer and logged in to view this response. Join today!

Thread Information