Thread: how to change my domain ?

Thanks

how to change my domain ?

Hi I have been using a domain but unfortunately the domain doesn't work well ! I mean the spelling made many problems. now I wanna change the domain (don't wanna park it) just wanna get rid of my domain and keep the content of my cp website.

plz help me what to do

Thanx guys

Thanks
    If you have registered a new domain you can map it to the same folder as your current classipress installation. Then you should be able to reach your site under both domains. Then change the domain name in the wordpress settings of the backend. Then look for the plugin called "search & replace". If you install it you can search your database for any instances of the old domian and replace them with the new domain name (be careful though, it makes the changes directly to the database). If everything is working fine with the new domain you could delete the old domain name.

Thanks
    Thanx for the tips

Thanks

Change domain name

You need to take new domain which can you put on same web space afterhat you can use find and replace in word press . Other way to change your domain. You need to apply 301 redirection to your old domain by using .htaccess file 301 redirect property. IF you using .htaccess file then you need to copy all the data on new localtion.

Thanks
    thanks for this lovely advice, bluecafe. i was thinking of changing my domain name as well. not now, but possibly in the future

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecafe View Post
    If you have registered a new domain you can map it to the same folder as your current classipress installation. Then you should be able to reach your site under both domains. Then change the domain name in the wordpress settings of the backend. Then look for the plugin called "search & replace". If you install it you can search your database for any instances of the old domian and replace them with the new domain name (be careful though, it makes the changes directly to the database). If everything is working fine with the new domain you could delete the old domain name.
    I need to do something similar to the original poster, and want to make sure I understand these directions.

So I rebuilt my classifieds site using Classipress, while keeping my current classifieds site live. The old site is at extendedtrot.com and I built the new site at extendedtrot.net.

I am ready now to shut down the old site, and have my "real" url, extendedtrot.com point to the new site that is living at extendedtrot.net. I know I could just forward the domain, but I don't think that will really give me everything I want. I want the real URL to be the .com

When you say "map it to the same folder as your current classipress installation" are you talking about forwarding or something else? After all this work I don't want to mess anything up!

Thanks!

Thanks
    It depends on the options you have with your hoster. Point the domain to the folder with your new classipress installation. Don't choose a frame redirect if this is one of your options.

Thread Information