Thread: What's the Deal with WP MU?

Thanks

What's the Deal with WP MU?

As usual, while WordPress is great software, they are really lousy at EXPLAINING it in action. I have been everywhere on their site and there is nada, zip, nothing to describe HOW MultiUser is "used". What are the key differences in what it allows you to do between WP standard and MU? Simply Saying that it acts like Wordpress.com, allowing multiple bloggers, doesn't spell out the possibilities for me. I have been to so-called demo sites of WP MU in action but I don't see transparently as a mere browser of the site how MU is utilized that makes it perform wonders greater than WP other than "thousands" of independent bloggers having their own accounts.

To those of you already using MU what are the key advantages or enhanced capabilities of MU?

I see reference to being able to harness a separate blog to a subdomain, such as http://barackobama/usgovernment.org & http://michelleobama/usgovernment.org....that sort of thing. But most shared hosts put a limit on sub-domains. So are these "virtual" sub-domains using CHMOD trickery to "create" an "artificial" sub-domain?

Besides that question I have been reading about people installing WP MU and quickly having their sites shut down on various shared hosting sites for exceeding CPU usage maximum limits.

WP MU seems to really put a server's CPU cycles and resources to work, which makes it unfriendly to other websites sharing the the same server.

People are reporting finding their WP MU websites shut down first and unaccessible even by their account panel and THEN receiving an email informing them of exceeding their usage in CPU resources.

The only way to get their website back up was to pay for a dedicated host.

Any feedback on these issues from you WP MU users?

Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,390 Times in 3,261 Posts

Re: What's the Deal with WP MU?

I have not experienced any CPU resource overload with my WPMU installation on a shared hosting for almost a year already. Traffic is still minimal though. I use WPMU-Buddypress tandem for my social networking site.
    Please help our moderating team work more efficiently by not sending us support questions via PM. You can read more about how AppThemes support works here. However, you can send a PM to follow up and remind me if I missed your support request/thread.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Thread Information