Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lets discuss development of regional search/data

Thanks

Re: lets discuss development of regional search/data

Yes, they will be custom fields. It's the best way to do it. If you've got your site setup with countries/states as categories then I recommend you change that once 3.0 comes out otherwise it won't work well.

Thanks

David, thanks for doing the regions!

- Will it be easy to link to a page displaying a list of ads that are from a specific state and a specific category? (for example, only showing ads within category: shoes from state: colorado)

On my CP site, I hacked the tagging function so people tag their ad with their state (from a dropdown menu). Then I can easily provide a navigational link to a page such as: http://www.example.com/category/shoes/?tag=colorado" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does wordpress allow us to create a link that does the same thing, but uses the custom field instead of tags?

Amateur
    Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

David, thanks for responding to this issue. Please make sure that it is possible to have states and cities listed on the homepage. It's very important that my users immediately see that they can select state or city right from the homepage. I'm not just talking about selecting cities and states on the post form. Again, see www.olx.com and look on the left side of the website. olx has a nice sidebar that displays many cities and many states on the homepage and all pages.

As for cities being an issue, is it possible we can manually add cities that can also be displayed on our homepage, in fact all pages?

Again, thanks for the continued great work!

Thanks

This is great news!
    My first site wil benefit from this out of the box, I am sure.
    It will be nice if we can add cities even afterwards.

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Certainly good news. I will buying it soon as 3.0 will have regional search feature.

Thanks

I have incorporated regional listing in my site to be launched. For testing purposes I have uploaded the site to a dummy site www.mykeralatravel.com for the time being to test it. I need user feedback as although the front end is same the backend is totally different like regional listing . The following are some of the things incorporated.

1) You don't need a user account to post ads.

2) Your first ad creates a user account and you have to input the user profile in the succeeding screen.

3) Basic ads are free. But no images and maps etc. You can upgrade after you post an ad premier where you can upload images etc.

4) Regional wise category listing is created parallel to category listing. Categories are created based on the regional category and status ie for sale, for rent etc. People can use the top bar to go regionally or use the categories and then to status child menus. The top bar scrolls with the site so users can switch to sections faster at any time.

5) Premier users can give their latitude and longitude from a gps device to display google maps more accurately.

6) Each ad page displays the contact info from profile fields and not post fields as in classipress. The users can then enable or disable privacy to show or hide phone no's address etc for their ads. Then contact can be made only via email form.

7) And of course I have included my earlier contribution ie edit image function to manage images in ad edit.

I don't know if that is all but please let me know if its too slow? I have probably 12000 ads that need to be served from my current site www.kachavadom.com. So if its too slow I will probabaly have to do a lot of code optimizing where I dont use classipress functions that i dont need. But I need your feedback before then. Please let me know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information