Thread: Using ClassiPress as a plugin or just subsection of a WPsite

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Using ClassiPress as a plugin or just subsection of a WPsite

Hi There,

For business purpose, I run a wordpress site where the classified ads would be only part of the site and where I'd have my own wordpress theme. So for me as far as I've understood, that Classipress is a theme and not a plugin is to me more a drawback.
    Indeed, plugins don't require to run a dedicated wordpress and are compatible or customizable with your current theme.

So my question is. Is it possible to have ClassiPress installed without overwriting my entire theme and without redoing my whole wordpress installation, so that basically it runs under something like mydomain.com/marketplace or similar? How should I do?

The other question I have is does ClassiPress allow for a more real estate agent-like ads. That is anonymous ads that when people respond to with a private message, it doesn't go to the person who posted the ad but to the agent (ourselves). Indeed we are intermediaries and as such, we don't want direct contact initially between buyers and sellers though we would like to authorize sellers to publish by themselves the ads.

Many thanks
    Ben

Thanks

Re: Using ClassiPress as a plugin or just subsection of a WPsite

Hi Ben-

ClassiPress is designed as a complete classified ads system and not a plugin. For your situation I would recommend implementing a new instance of WordPress and install the classipress theme there.

So referring to your example you'd put a new copy of WP one level below your site at mydomain.com/marketplace and run the ad system separately.

Plugins are great for WordPress but classified ads are better kept separately especially when you have multiple categories, user accounts and a payment module. It just gets confusing and crowded when used with your existing WordPress instance. It's just much easier to maintain when it's separate.

Your custom request is doable but you'd have to do some minor changes to the code to allow all emails to be routed to agents instead of the anonymous ad poster. You could also go into the ad once it's placed and change the email address to you.

~David

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

I too would like to use Classipress as a subdomain to the main site. But is it possible to download all the online classifieds adverts into a page layout programme such as Adobe Indesign so that the same adverts go into a printed listings local paper by category? I bit like these very expensive self-service classifieds portals! like www.bcclassifieds.com.

Thanks

I would like to note that if you have wordpress loaded in your root domain or another subdirectory on your domain already, another instance of Wordpress can be installed with another theme in a another subdirectory, but you will have to add some like below to a new (or existing) htaccess file in the subdirectory itself...

Code:
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /yoursubcategory/
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /yoursubcategory/index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

Thanks

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Could you explain it a bit further?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazaz7
    I too would like to use Classipress as a subdomain to the main site. But is it possible to download all the online classifieds adverts into a page layout programme such as Adobe Indesign so that the same adverts go into a printed listings local paper by category? I bit like these very expensive self-service classifieds portals! like http://www.bcclassifieds.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Thanks

Let say for example.. you have someone who wants to have two subdirectories on their website with seperate Wordpress installs. What happens when they do this generally, is that there will be problems with the second one working... to make this work, you create a .htaccess with above code (with the subdirectory name where I put "yoursubcategory" in code) pasted in. Then load the .htaccess file to the second subdirectory. The second Wordpress install will work after this.

In the case of a subdomain, this is not necessary. Only on seperate subdirectories on a Linux based hosting set up.. I use Redhat w/ cpanel.

Thanks

Sorry, I meant that I didn't understand Mazaz7's post.

Thanks

yikes! sorry

Thread Information