Thread: Demo or preview site

Thanks

Demo or preview site

I am about to launch my first classipress site. I have uploaded the site to a dummy site www.mykeralatravel.com for the time being to test it. I need user feedback as although the front end is same the backend is totally different. The following are some of the things incorporated.

1) You don't need a user account to post ads.

2) Your first ad creates a user account and you have to input the user profile in the succeeding screen.

3) Basic ads are free. But no images and maps etc. You can upgrade after you post an ad premier where you can upload images etc.

4) Regional wise category listing is created parallel to category listing. Categories are created based on the regional category and status ie for sale, for rent etc. People can use the top bar to go regionally or use the categories and then to status child menus. The top bar scrolls with the site so users can switch to sections faster at any time.

5) Premier users can give their latitude and longitude from a gps device to display google maps more accurately.

6) Each ad page displays the contact info from profile fields and not post fields as in classipress. The users can then enable or disable privacy to show or hide phone no's address etc for their ads. Then contact can be made only via email form.

7) And of course I have included my earlier contribution ie edit image function to manage images in ad edit.

I don't know if that is all but please let me know if its too slow? I have probably 12000 ads that need to be served from my current site www.kachavadom.com. So if its too slow I will probabaly have to do a lot of code optimizing where I dont use classipress functions that i dont need. But I need your feedback before then. Please let me know.

Thanks

Re: Demo or preview site

Yeah it does seem a little slow to load to be honest. Do you have the supercache plugin installed?

Thanks

No super cache is not enabled. But apart from having a string of categories there is no change in the default theme page. So I guess thats whats slowing the site. Because there would be about 500 -1000 categories as they are child pages.

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

The url takes a very long time to resolve...close enough for a server time-out. The site is way too slow to load. Take care of this first.

Thanks

I cant figure out because the site loads pretty fast on my localhost so it has to be the server I guess

Thanks

Does seem a little slow to switch between pages. Submitting an ad didn't take too long, though slower than expected. I had a similar problem when I first started. It turns out there were just too many categories, not even a single ad posted and it ran like a dog.
    In your case though, you don't have a huge amount of categories so I don't know. I do know that you will hit the wall if you have 500 categories building on what you have.

Thanks

I'll check if its the server. If that isnt the case then I might just go for regional category listing only and leave out the general categories. That way I cut my category count by half. Right now each post is placed in two categories ie one based on the districts in the top bar and one based on categories like real estate etc....

Thanks

I agree, currently it is running way too slow.
    [CENTER]

TreasureValleyBusiness.com

[/CENTER]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thomman

2) Your first ad creates a user account and you have to input the user profile in the succeeding screen.
    Can you please explain how you did this?
    Always treat everyone with respect and courtesy, but trust no one.

Thanks

My login is absed on email id's. So on the post form it uses check user exists with the email id submitted if the user exists it updates the ad for the user else it creates a new user using the email id and then updates the ad with the newuser obtained. Of course this is the login but in practice it involves a bit of coding but its simple.

Thread Information