Thread: activating cp on multisite

Thanks

activating cp on multisite

Hi

I set up my one site on wpmu thinking I would build other sub-domains later. Well later has arrived. I currently have a UK version running on mydomain.com, and what I would like is to change it to uk.mydomain.com and then have us.mydomain.com, fr.mydomain.com etc for other countries.

WPMU is my operating system but does anyone know how I shift my current content to a uk version of the site (also so that all the old pages redirect to the new addresses) and how I set up the various other subdomains as well?

I know this isn't an AppThemes problem but I was hoping someone might have a similar experience that they could share, to get me started in the right direction.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,770 Posts
    I don't know if you already read the documentation in Wordpress

Thanks
    Hi,

WP Subdomains is a plugin for wordpress that allows you to setup your main categories, pages and authors as subdomains.

Thanks
    Hi

Thanks Dimitris and Marria. Dimitris I read the documentation but as a non-programmer it made my head spin - I can't work out which things I've done already and which I have to do now.

Marria, re WP Subdomains, I'm not sure it still works for WP (8 out of 10 reviews there say it's broken and it hasn't been updated since 2009) plus I don't want to make my categories or authors into subdomains.

I want the same site that I have already, moved from mydomain.com to either uk.mydomain.com or mydomain.com/uk, and then a load of other sites created that are exactly the same, but without the ads, so that I can get new ads on them that apply to that country.

It seems to me that there are 2 main steps here. First - transfer the existing site to one that is either uk.mydomain.com or mydomain.com/uk, and Second - create a load of similar sites but for specific countries. Does anyone know how to do either of those things? Or am I wrong and I should do something else entirely?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,770 Posts
    I think you need to migrate the wordpress site to wordpress multisite, try googling "migrate wordpress to wordpress multisite" you will find a lot of articles. About your second "step" you need to create either sub domains or sub directories. Probably you can ask your host to create them for you.

Thanks
    That's very useful, thank you.

Thread Information