Thread: Upgrade from 3.1.7 to 3.1.8

Thanks

Upgrade from 3.1.7 to 3.1.8

I know this might sound a little remedial, but normally I do an automatic Classipress upgrade with no problems. However, I have made changes to the theme and now if I do an automatic upgrade, it will delete those changes. How do I do a manual upgrade and not lose those changes?
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Hard work my friend.

Thanks
    Hi bkerber
    This is why we recommend using a child theme...
    Have a look at the list of changed files and compare that to your list of customized files. If there are any matches, You'll need to make similar changes to the new versions
    The search button. Your new best friend.
    - Dubya

Thanks
    Thanked 1,756 Times in 1,442 Posts
    Maybe it's because i'm a stupid beginner, but please can someone explain me how a child theme is working? I mean, I do changes in several files (PHP, CSS) inside the child theme. How do the core files work together with the child files? I'm sure there would/could be conflicts between the customized child files and the core files. And if the child files get called to open and handle the website, what is the job from the core files? Specially when the child files are older than the core.

Thanks
    Hi,
    I disagree with the child theme way to upgrade...
    I had same issue in the past no one help me but I try many ways to work then I made it work sample ways to do is from your file manager ( from web hosting admin) change the them name from Classipress to classipress5 (or 2, 7) and upload the new them it will work and not loss your old themes you worked and you can change the times at any time from login in your wp-admin.

Thanks
    Hi samcy.
    A child theme allows you to add, remove, and override certain pages, css styles and even functions. The "core" functionality remains in the parent theme. For example, 3.1.7 had an issue where Membership subscription reminder emails weren't being sent (3.1.8 fixes that). Upgrading the parent wont affect your style or custom pages set within the child, but the email will start to work. Basically, the purpose of the child is not to replace the parent, but rather to augment it. I have used the same child through three (as of 3.1.8 just today) updates to ClassiPress without needing to modify the child in any way.

If you haven't already, you may want to have a look at this ClassiPress specific tutorial: part 1 and part 2.

I think it's safe to say that AppThemes recognizes that the documentation on how to leverage action hooks (oh boy, that's a whole new can of worms) and child themes needs some serious work, and I know there are a lot of folks (I used to be one of them) doing the so called "stylesheetpath fix" and even creating new themes based on a particular version of ClassiPress (fine if you never want new features or fixes). I am working on some tutorials that will include real world examples based on support requests. My intent is to explain the "why" as well as the "how" without talking down to, nor over the head of, our average "enthusiast" customer. Sorry, no ETA at this point, as I just started formulating my action plan last weekend.
    The search button. Your new best friend.
    - Dubya

Thanks
    Ok. Perhaps this isn't the best way, but it's how I've got things organized...
    I work with child themes, but there are always some little tweaks that I end up doing in the core files, like inserting an additional line of code. Really simple stuff. When I do this I make a copy of the original file, and keep it in place with a suffix like .ORIGINAL or something similar. That makes it easy to spot the few core files I've actually changed.

When upgrading, I make a copy of everything and reapply the changes. Of course this only works if you make minor changes.
    In any case, it's recommended to backup your database and your files, just to be safe
    Free classifieds site using Classipress in Portuguese - Boas-oportunidades;
    House rentals in Portugal - Arrenda PT; House rentals in Brazil - Arrenda BR.

Thread Information